________________________________________________
GREENVILLE MILE
At Derreks School in P.E. they practice for a couple of weeks for the "Greenville Mile." It is a big 1-mile race that all the kids get to qaulify for and then they get to run in front of parents and family and what not. It is quite the production that we are just learning about. Anyway Derrek raced with his class for a couple of weeks and then did the final race to see who gets to go to the "Greenville Mile'" they only take the top 3 girl/boy runners in the class. Well lucky him, he made it and would be showing off his stuff on Monday May 18th at 10am. This race is 1/2 mile up hill then a 1/2 mile down hill, so it is not an easy course for these little kids. He qaulified with a time of 8:28 and was so nervous to do the actual race. Well we just told him to go out and do his very best and just make it a goal to improve his time and not worry about winning. Well he certainly did that. He raced against all the other boys in 4th grade, a total of 24, and he got 12th place. He definitely improved his time, he came in at 6:52--way faster than I can do a mile, especially if 1/2 of it were up hill. WE were so proud of him and I think he was pretty proud of himself. He was so sore the next day, but that is good right.
________________________________________
OGDEN 1/2 MARATHON
On Saturday, May 16th, I had the opportunity to run the Ogden 1/2 with my sister and it was so much fun. I learned that I need to totally pick up my speed if I want to continue to hang with her, but it was great. This was the first race we have ever done together and it was lots of fun. We unfortunatley did not get any before or after pictures but maybe next year we will be on top of our game. My mom and other sister walked the 5 K that day too and so they were at the finish line to cheer us on, but we didn't think abotu the camera. We got to spend all weekend together as part of our bi-annual girls weekend and it was wonderful.
_______________________________________




2 comments:
You are amazing Mary! What a good example to Derek and the other kids too!
Well done. Can I just say how much I miss having you in AZ? I have been running by myself with Emily in the stroller, fondly remembering our marathon training days. I also could use your weather. I've had to switch to mostly roller-blading because it is getting much to hot! :-)
I'm heading your way the end of July. Maybe I'll get all the way to Logan and swing by to say hi.
Becky
Post a Comment