Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Learning to Skate





This year Derrek didn't want to do basketball but we wanted him to do something during the winter months to stay active. We decided to put him in a "Learn to Skate--Hockey" program offered here at the ice arena. He was really excited to do this because it was something way different than he has ever done and he thought it would be lots of fun. He only goes once a week for 8 weeks so it is not too time consuming at all, but. . . . .
Derrek is not so great on his feet and he spent more time falling or trying not to fall that I am not sure he learned much his first shot at this. He took it really well at first, even got up from hos falls laughing, but by the end of the lesson I think he was trying really hard to suppress his tears and just hoping he could make it to the exit without falling again. I am sure he woke up black and blue on his rear end. I will say this though, I am really proud of him because he never wanted to quit the whole lesson and you could tell he was hurting and he just kept getting right back up on his skates and trying again. Hopefully each lesson will go a little better and he will actually be able to enjoy it up on his feet.


3 comments:

Becky said...

I hope this is non-contact hockey or you may be visiting the dentist a lot more to replace those lost teeth. The only sports more violent than hockey are actual fighting sports. I look forward to more stories from the ice!

Corry's said...

How fun for Derrek. I hope he continues to enjoy it. That is cool they have a scating place in Cache Valley now.

Chelsi said...

That sounds like a fun class, Coleman would adore it!!!!